Sunday, August 5, 2012

Food Storage...

#10 cans stored in guest room. 
I am thinking of getting another shelf to
hold them in
For the past 2 years I have been married, I have been working on collecting a 4month supply of food storage.  I got this article from EverythingUnderTheSun.blogspot.com and how she organized everything.  It seemed to make sense!  Finally!  Food storage that seemed easy enough I could do. 

Since then, I have found recipes, thought about how to cook, store, and organize everything, tried to find where it's most convenient and cheap to buy the bulk items, and store them reasonably.  I can't say I am officially finished with the 4th month supply, b/c I need to go to the "family Canning" night at the cannery to package powdered milk, and find one more can of powdered eggs, and stock up on propane, till I am finished!  Wahoo! 

3L bottles you can get on sale
in the summer at Fry's fro 49cents.
We have a big barrel in the garage
but it's always nice to have 
smaller sizes.

The thing I am most excited about is that I typed up and included lots of charts on what I did, how to store it, organize and rotate it.  I have been working on using more wheat, powdered milk, and potato flakes in my cooking.  I have experienced with multiple diff. bread recipes trying to find one that was simple enough for me to make, but I didn't have to buy yeast for.  So, I have since learned to make sour dough bread, and even started, and killed a sourdough starter.  It's been quite the trip trying to figure everything out.  Now that I am nearing the end of this 4mo supply, I am having fun trying out new recipes for the next 4 months. 

GREAT rotating can system
you can get at Costco online
for $300.  Worth it!  They also
have the size for #10 cans
which holds 112 cans.
If any of you are interested in what I did, I can e-mail you the file.  What it has is 7 breakfast, 7 dinner, 3 desert, and bread recipe.  The bread I included for making 3x week for lunches.  Everything is added to make a serving for 4 people.  I have planned it for worst case scenario which means no electricity, stuff to keep things cold, and no source for water.  I made a grocery list for all the food items for ALL meals, and how much you need to buy of each.  I am so excited about this, I felt like I was never going to finish.  But although food storage does cost money, and take up space, I believe it is completely worth it and I feel blessed already with following the prophets counsel on self preparedness.  I think the biggest thing I have learned is that I have to be patient... I can't buy everything at one time and it might take 1-2 years to just build up a small storage, but I now know that I have 4 mo supply of food I know how to cook, use, and will eat in case of any emergency. 

2 comments:

  1. Charisse you are amazing! Please send me your file, I would love to follow in your footsteps! You are such a great example. You can send it to mikeandmollie@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is really cool. I have a bunch of food storage I brought to Utah when I moved here. Sadly a lot of stuff not in cans got weevils :( Gross. I dont know how long my food storage would last us but any tips you can send about how to rotate and use what we have would be nice. I really havent figured that part out yet :-/ redcherries22@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete