Monday, November 19, 2012

Baby Project...


I decided I didn't want to use a dresser to put all the baby clothes in because it was going to take up too much room, and I didn't like the way it would fit in the room.  Instead, I took an extra bookshelf we had around, and it fit perfectly in the closet!  I wanted to find some cute bins to put in them for all the babies clothes to go in, but they were ranging between 5-10 a piece, and I couldn't ever find a size/design/style that I liked.

Doing some research on Pinterest... I found this blog which seemed to be the easiest.  I used her pattern for the outside of my box, and the spray adhesive worked GREAT!  Super easy, although probably not to do the best prego... so I had Will help me for faster results!  I didn't like the link/blog she used to make for the inside of the basket, it looked too complicated for me, AND I do NOT like draw sings... so difficult to sew them and turn them inside out and look cute and perfect... NOT for me!

Instead, for the inside, I used the EXACT same pattern that I cut for the outside with a few changes.  1.  I added 1 inch to each side (so the "total" of my big rectangle was 2in total extra in width/length.
2.  She has you cut a square out of each corner, and then in an inch.  On that part, I added 1/2 in to each side for extra seam allowance.  I then sewed up the angle, and the side.
3.  I finished with a 1/2 seam and put in some elastic.

I liked the idea of being able to take out the inside to wash it...just in case.

The total cost for me to make 6 boxes:
* polka dot material $12 (I LOVE going to hobby lobby because 1. less decisions to make for fabric.  2.  40% OFF coupon to use whenever!)
* Brown inside fabric $4 twin sheet from Goodwill
* Spray Adhesive $6
* Elastic $1.50 (I already had enough in my supply for 4, and just needed to buy some for the last two)
A grand total of about $4.00 per box with a cute design that I LOVE and matches my room, insides I can wash, and just the right size I wanted. 

***I am still debating on whether to spend time painting the bookshelf white or not.  The inside of the closet is white, so I was thinking it might match better, but I really don't like painting... so I might just keep it brown.***

3 comments: