Wednesday, July 2, 2014

New Born Tips- Bath Time


I figured I should start typing up the tips I have learned with having a new born a second time.

Bath Time. You aren't supposed to give them a regular bath for 7-10 days because of the umbilical cord and circumcision. Only sponge baths! I swear, sponge baths are TORTURE for both infant and parents. It's difficult to keep the water the right temp, keep from getting peed on, wipe down infant, soap up infant, then wipe down again, while infant is crying because “hello, it's cold! I don’t care how warm the water is you are using, it's still cold when you leave the area.” I mean, even if you use warm water, it's STILL cold because baby isn't covered in it. So...this is my tip learned the second time around.

1. Usually I place a thick folded up towel in the bottom of the tub anyways so it's softer and warmer. This time... (I did not get doctor approval, so do this at your own risk) I poured warm water enough to soak the towel and leave a few puddles on top. This allows baby to at least stay partially warm on the bottom side without getting umbilical/circumcision regions wet.

2. I usually have a dry rag over circumcision to keep from getting sprayed (I do this with diaper changes too). I started using wipes but they are so cold it increases risk of getting sprayed.

3. I then have a pitcher of plenty of warm water at the right temperature and multiple rags. This allows me to place warm rags over chest and legs while sponging infant up and still keeping them warm without having to keep the water running.


Baby was SO MUCH happier! No tears from baby or parents for putting them through the torture again! ALSO, baby was quite enough to not wake up brother from nap! Wahoo!  

No comments:

Post a Comment